THE EVOLUTION OF JUDICIAL TYRANNY IN THE UNITED STATES:

"If the judges interpret the laws themselves, and suffer none else to interpret, they may easily make, of the laws, [a shredded] shipman's hose!" - King James I of England, around 1616.

“No class of the community ought to be allowed freer scope in the expression or publication of opinions as to the capacity, impartiality or integrity of judges than members of the bar. They have the best opportunities of observing and forming a correct judgment. They are in constant attendance on the courts. Hundreds of those who are called on to vote never enter a court-house, or if they do, it is only at intervals as jurors, witnesses or parties. To say that an attorney can only act or speak on this subject under liability to be called to account and to be deprived of his profession and livelihood by the very judge or judges whom he may consider it his duty to attack and expose, is a position too monstrous to be entertained for a moment under our present system,” Justice Sharwood in Ex Parte Steinman and Hensel, 95 Pa 220, 238-39 (1880).

“This case illustrates to me the serious consequences to the Bar itself of not affording the full protections of the First Amendment to its applicants for admission. For this record shows that [the rejected attorney candidate] has many of the qualities that are needed in the American Bar. It shows not only that [the rejected attorney candidate] has followed a high moral, ethical and patriotic course in all of the activities of his life, but also that he combines these more common virtues with the uncommon virtue of courage to stand by his principles at any cost.

It is such men as these who have most greatly honored the profession of the law. The legal profession will lose much of its nobility and its glory if it is not constantly replenished with lawyers like these. To force the Bar to become a group of thoroughly orthodox, time-serving, government-fearing individuals is to humiliate and degrade it.” In Re Anastaplo, 18 Ill. 2d 182, 163 N.E.2d 429 (1959), cert. granted, 362 U.S. 968 (1960), affirmed over strong dissent, 366 U.S. 82 (1961), Justice Black, Chief Justice Douglas and Justice Brennan, dissenting.

" I do not believe that the practice of law is a "privilege" which empowers Government to deny lawyers their constitutional rights. The mere fact that a lawyer has important responsibilities in society does not require or even permit the State to deprive him of those protections of freedom set out in the Bill of Rights for the precise purpose of insuring the independence of the individual against the Government and those acting for the Government”. Lathrop v Donohue, 367 US 820 (1961), Justice Black, dissenting.

"The legal profession must take great care not to emulate the many occupational groups that have managed to convert licensure from a sharp weapon of public defense into blunt instrument of self-enrichment". Walter Gellhorn, "The Abuse of Occupational Licensing", University of Chicago Law Review, Volume 44 Issue 1, September of 1976.

“Because the law requires that judges no matter how corrupt, who do not act in the clear absence of jurisdiction while performing a judicial act, are immune from suit, former Judge Ciavarella will escape liability for the vast majority of his conduct in this action. This is, to be sure, against the popular will, but it is the very oath which he is alleged to have so indecently, cavalierly, baselessly and willfully violated for personal gain that requires this Court to find him immune from suit”, District Judge A. Richard Caputo in H.T., et al, v. Ciavarella, Jr, et al, Case No. 3:09-cv-00286-ARC in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, Document 336, page 18, November 20, 2009. This is about judges who were sentencing kids to juvenile detention for kickbacks.


Saturday, June 20, 2015

Audio recordings of my conversations with Delaware County Supreme Court Clerk's office showing how Judge Dowd blocked my access to trial exhibits, after the trial and after the trial decision was in


The ex parte trial in the Mokay case (during my legitimate medical leave due to injury) was held on April 7, 2015.  At the trial, over 270 exhibits were allegedly admitted, at least judging by the "trial minutes" filed with the court by Kelly Sanfilippo, and according to the transcript provided to me by the stenographer Brenda Friedel (without list of exhibits, which is highly irregular for a trial transcript - but what would you expect from a transcript created by a Facebook friend of the judge's law clerk, when the judge, his law clerk and his secreatry were subpoenaed witnesses in the case).
My first conversation with Kelly Sanfilippo, Chief Clerk of Delaware County Supreme Court in Delhi, New York on May 22, 2015 (the audio recording is here):

Dialing
 
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Supreme and County Court, this is Kelly, can I help you?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Hello, Kelly, this is Tatiana Neroni calling, how are you?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
I am good, how are you?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
I am not bad, thank you.  I am calling about Mokay trial exhibits.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok…  Because I saw in the index of the case of the case, you know, a line "court exhibits", and I looked at what was filed, and it was not the exhibits that were mentioned in the trial minutes, it's like 1 to 270 something, so my question is where the exhibits are now, so that I can look at them.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
The court exhibits should be in the County Clerk's file.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
The exhibits that were filed? One to two hundred seventy three or whatever?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Oh, no, no, no, I've just meant the court exhibits.  Let me check on the other… (Hurriedly) Let me check on the other one, if the exhibits are in the office, so let me make sure…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you very much.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Sure, hold on.  (Pause).  So, the other exhibits are here.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
The two hundred seventy something, right?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Probably (?), there's two boxes (2:16)
 
Tatiana Neroni:
All right, ok, thank you.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you, I will, probably, come, not today, but I will, probably, come on Monday.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Can you call ahead of time, just so that we can make sure there's going to be somebody around, with you in the room?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
I will, probably, come at about 10 o'clock, on Monday.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Tuesday there's going to be…. This is a holiday weekend…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Oh! ok, ok…
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Tuesday I don't believe I can have anybody who could sit with you…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok, today I just cannot do that…
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok.  Tuesday I just have two courts going, so I just won't have backup on Tuesday.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
We can shoot for … Wednesday might be able to if that's ok with you.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Wednesday is fine, 10 o'clock then.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok, we will plan for that.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok, and can I ask you also a question, did the exhibits… did those exhibits ever leave the… your office, I mean, were they taken out after the trial or not?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
After the trial, they've been here.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
The whole time, right?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Right.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you very much.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok, bye.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Bye.

 

Several minutes after the above conversation, when Kelly Sanfilippo made an appointment for me to review the file, she called me back and left this message on my office answering machine (the audio recording is here):

Kelly Sanfilippo:
Hi, Ms. Neroni, it is Kelly.  I am calling you back on the Mokay exhibits, so I wanted to let you know that I just let Judge Dowd know that you wanted to come see the exhibits, and he said that you, you know, not able to see them at this time, as it's pending a decision for the court, and the exhibits are deemed with the judge… ah… at this time you are not able to see the exhibits, ok? Thank you so much, bye.

 

I called Kelly Sanfilippo back as soon as I got the message, to verify how come that the exhibits which were in her office, which were already admitted by the court at trial, were not available for the review of defendant's counsel, even under the court personnel's supervision, even though, according to Kelly Sanfilippo's own admission, the exhibits never left her office and, consequently, were never claimed for review by Judge Dowd.

In other words, what could I do to the exhibits, while reviewing them under supervision of court personnel, AFTER they were officially admitted into the record of a trial against my client, that could destroy their integrity.  Could I "despoil" them by simply looking at them?

Here goes the transcript of our conversation with Kelly Sanfilippo on that subject (the audio recording is here):

Dialing
 
 
Women's voice:
Supreme and County Court, Nicole speaking.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Is it Nicole? This is Tatiana Neroni speaking, how are you?
 
Nicole:
Good, how are you?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Not bad.  I received a phone call from Kelly regarding the Mokay exhibits.  I asked to review the exhibits, and she just called and left a message that the judge did not allow me to see them, because they are "deemed with the judge".
 
Nicole:
Right.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok.  Well, I already received three of them, because they were filed with the court, and I received them from the County Clerk's office.
 
Nicole:
Ok…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
So, my question is, why can I receive the three and cannot receive the two hundred and seventy of other exhibits, and then why they are not filed with the court?
 
Nicole:
That I don't know, if you want me to have you speak with Kelly?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Well, is there a list of exhibits filed with the court right now that I can take a copy?
 
Nicole:
I won't have any of that information with me.  Kelly is the one who … ah… is dealing with it, so if you want to speak to her?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
No, can you, please, look up in the file yourself right now? I just need the list of exhibits, I need a copy of the list of exhibits on file with your office.
 
Nicole:
Let me put you on hold for one second, ok?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you.
 
Nicole:
You are welcome.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Hello, it's Kelly.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Hello, Kelly, I've got your message that I am not allowed by the judge to see the exhibits, right?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Right.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
The thing is that the three exhibits I not only saw, but have a copy of, because they were filed with the County Clerk?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Yes, they are, probably, court exhibits?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes, they are.  And my question is, why can I have copies of three exhibits and cannot even look at the 270 and why they were not filed with the Clerk?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Because, I think, they came in from a party, so those are here for the judge to review if he needs to, and when they are done we will send them back to the party.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Well, is the judge reviewing it on Tuesday when I wanted to come?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
I am not certain, but they are telling me that you are not permitted to review them.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok, is there a list of those 270-something exhibits, you know, what they contain, with your office? And can I get a copy of it?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
It's not yet, it's not filed yet, so when the judge is done with the exhibits, then I will file the list of exhibits.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
So, do you in your office right now a list of what is in each exhibit?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
I do, but I cannot turn it over to you yet, because it's not filed yet with the County Clerk.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Well, it was submitted to the court, wasn't it, on April 7th, right, so why can't you give it to me now?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Exhibit sheet?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
It is the form that I created.  I did not file it yet with the County Clerk and it is with the exhibits I am going to go with what Judge Dowd said about the exhibits, you can't view it yet.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
You did not file the motion minutes either, but you gave copy to me, didn't you?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
And I filed that the same day, because I thought that should have been filed, this should… I am gonna leave the exhibit sheet with the exhibits, until there is a decision coming from the judge, and once I get the decision, then I'll file it…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
So, I cannot even know what is in the exhibits?
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
I am assuming so from what, you know, judge's Chambers told me…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok, thank you very much, Kelly.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Ok.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you, bye.
 
Kelly Sanfilippo:
Bye.
 

 

Kelly Sanfilippo indicated that she will file the exhibit sheets, with exhibits after the judge makes the decision.

The judge made the decision on June 12, 2015.

On June 19, 2015, a week after the decision was signed, I called Kelly Sanfilippo's office and, once again, asked for access to trial exhibits.

I was denied access again, now Kelly was hiding from me and I had a discussion with her assistant (the audio recording is here):

Dialing
 
 
Woman's voice:
Supreme and County Court
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Hello, this is Tatiana Neroni speaking, an attorney.  Can I, possibly, speak to Kelly?
 
Woman's voice:
You try and hold on a minute please?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes, thank you.
 
Woman's voice (after a pause of approximately a 4.5 minutes)
Ms. Neroni? (4:45 on the recording)
 
 
 
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes?
 
Woman's voice:
She is in the middle of something, she'll call you back in a little bit, ok?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Well, I am not in the state of New York right now, so I am just calling… I might ask you… I am calling… I will soon be in the State of New York, or my agent will be, and I need access to the exhibits in the Mokay trial, now that the decision is in.  So, I want to…
 
Woman's voice:
I can ask her…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
What?
 
Woman's voice:
I can try to ask her if she has a minute… If you would hold on…
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes, thank you.
 
Woman's voice:
Hold on.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Thank you.
 
Woman's voice:
(Pause on the recording from 5:17 to 5:49, for 32 seconds).  Ms Neroni?
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Yes.
 
Woman's voice:
You still cannot review that.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
And why is that?
 
Woman's voice:
I am really not sure.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Well, the judgment is in, so why cannot I review the exhibits upon which the judgment is based?
 
Woman's voice:
It's just what I've been told.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
By Kelly?
 
Woman' voice:
Yes.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Ok, thank you very much.
 
Woman's voice:
You are welcome.
 
Tatiana Neroni:
Bye.


So, I was not allowed to see the so-called trial exhibits, unless I would agree to extortion of Richard Harlem and review them under supervision of his paralegal, at a cost of $100/hr for my client, even though the exhibits in question were certified records of the court.

I was on a legitimate sick leave, yet, the judge who was a subpoenaed witness in the case, proceeded without me – and is now trying to punish me for not coming to trial despite a medically documented injury and a legitimate medical leave.

The stenographer Brenda Friedel, Facebook friend of Judge Dowd's law clerk Claudette Newman (another subpoenaed witness), did not provide the list of exhibits, as she was supposed to, with the transcript of the Mokay trial.

The clerk of the court Kelly Sanfilippo first made an appointment for me on May 22, 2015 to review the trial exhibits that were in her office, review them under supervision of the court personnel, then somehow felt it necessary to consult with the judge whether I could review the records that were already filed in a supposedly public trial and should have been open to public review, not only mine as the attorney of record for the defendant.

Kelly Sanfilippo also did not file the list of trial exhibits that she "created" and had in her office, nor did she file exhibits with the court, because she claimed she was waiting for the judge to make a decision to file the list of exhibits.

Then, Kelly Sanfilippo cancelled the appointment upon a directive from Judge Dowd's chambers and indicated to me that I may not see the trial exhibits, already admitted into evidence, and even under supervision of court personnel, because the exhibits that were in her office were "deemed to be with the judge", even though Sanfilippo was not sure if the judge was coming on the same day as I was to review exhibits.

Yet, even a week after the judge actually made the decision in the case, Kelly Sanfilippo still did not allow me access to the trial exhibits.

Now, let's go back to the characterization by Judge Dowd in the trial that my concern about trial exhibits is "a little brouhaha".
 
 

Had it been that "little brouhaha", the judge would not have bent over backwards to prevent my access to the exhibits or from even knowing what was in there, right?
 
By the way, by rules of court "marked pleadings" (and Richard Harlem claimed at trial that all trial exhibits other than billing statements were pleadings in the case) must be filed with the court 3 days before trial - and served upon the opposing counsel (that never happened).
 
For Judge Dowd rules of court is "a little brouhaha".

I am turning the whole crew participating in the Mokay trial and in blocking my access to the court to the feds.

I am tired of this crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment