It is the state
- stifling property owners and taxpayers with taxes,
- vouching for sanctuary cities for illegal immigrants whose children those same property owners must educate at their own expense against their will (because public schools in New York State are financed by property taxes),
- having the most expensive public education in the country while not providing the best public education.
Now, New York went even further than that.
It is dramatically cutting passing standards on teacher certification exam, in order to be able to hire the 180,000 teachers to cover the current shortage in New York public schools.
That is happening also at the background that New York vigorously pursues, and even sues, to preserve its supposed "right" to not report illegal immigrants to authorities.
As recently as yesterday, NYS Governor signed an executive order barring New York State police and state agencies from even asking about people's immigration status.
At the very same time, Cuomo created a special police force to fight "Central American gangs" in public schools in New York City where teachers are intimidated by such gangs.
Of course, there are a lot of comments on social media that Cuomo was not right to do that, that he should not be "policing our youth", but should instead be "speaking to the immigrant community" and trying to fight gangs in schools through pleas.
So, teachers who parents are going to be getting (and paying for as taxpayers), as a result:
- will not be properly tested even in how they READ - not to offend their tender sensibilities;
- will not be required to pass as rigorous a testing as those who taught the previous generations of New York children - in order to cover a teacher shortage (I guess, if there is a shortage, you hire whoever, in order to cover it, and the quality be damned);
- and will not be allowed to report illegal aliens in their schools,
- will continue to be intimidated by gangs that now require already a separate police force to be addressed - so tell me, who in their right mind will go teach in such schools.